A classic festive side dish to enjoy with your Christmas dinner!
Festive Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds
What you will need:
- 450g fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed of ragged or old-looking outer leaves
- 4-6 tbsp butter – grass-fed/ ghee/ coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
What to do:
- Bring 2 litres of salted water (1 tbsp of salt) to a rolling boil. Add the Brussel sprouts and parboil them for 3 minutes or until just tender. (You could also steam them if you prefer.) They should be almost cooked all the way through (split one in half to test).
- Remove the sprouts with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water for a minute to shock the brussels sprouts and help them retain their bright green colour.
- Remove them from the ice water and cut the sprouts into halves.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2-3 tbsp more of butter and the brussels sprouts halves. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for several more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, while the brussels sprouts are cooking.
- Do not overcook! Overcooked brussels sprouts are bitter and are the main reason why some people don’t like them.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and half of the toasted almonds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in serving dish and garnish with the rest of the toasted almonds.